Bermudians Living & Working in the UK

There are six types of British Nationality: [1]

British Citizenship

British Overseas Territories Citizen (BOTC)

British Overseas Citizen

British Subject

British National (Overseas)

British Protected Person


A Bermudian is classified as a British Overseas Territory Citizen (BOTC).

The Bermuda Passport is a BOTC Passport. If you possess a BOTC passport you can:

  • Apply for a British passport.
  • Receive consular assistance and protection from all UK diplomatic posts. [1]

Under section 3(1) of the British Overseas Territories Act 2002, all those who were British Overseas Territory Citizens on the 21st of May 2002 were automatically conferred British Citizenship on that date. With the entitlement of British Citizenship, British Overseas Territory Citizens have the right of abode in the United Kingdom indefinitely. The proof of this right is only by possessing a UK Passport.

Unless you’re also a British citizen:

  • you’re still subject to immigration controls – you don’t have the automatic right to live or work in the UK

Effective May 31st 2015, British Overseas Territory Citizens wishing to travel or reside in the United Kingdom longer than six months who have not yet obtained a UK Passport must have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). This is a visa which is applied for before entering the UK.

Apply for a BRP

Information on how to apply for a BRP can be found here:

If your application is successful you will be issued with a vignette in your passport which is valid for 30 days from the date you indicated as your intended travel date in your visa application. The vignette is proof only of your permission to enter the UK and will allow you to travel to the UK. If you do not travel to the UK within this 30 day period, your visa will expire and you will need to apply for another 30 day visa. You will have to pay a fee for this.  [2]

BRPs will be issued in the UK by a designated Post Office close to your intended address in the UK. You must collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK from the Post Office branch (in the UK) detailed in your decision letter. If you do not collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK you may be subject to a financial penalty or cancellation of your leave. The Post Office branch you have been allocated is linked to the postcode you submitted in your visa application. [2]

Study in the UK Less than six months: No visa required [3]

Documents required

  • A valid BOTC passport

Study in the UK longer than six months: You’ll need a visa to study [3]

The visa you apply for depends on your circumstances.

  • Apply for a study visa (tier 4 general visa) – if you’re coming to the UK to study a university or college course for more than 6 months, or more than 11 months if it’s an English language course.
  • You can apply for a Short-term Study visa – if you’re 18 or over and studying an English language course for 11 months or less.

Get married or enter into civil partnership: You will need a visa [3]

The visa you apply for depends on your circumstances.

Apply for a Marriage Visitor visa – if you and your partner want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

Apply for a family of a settled person visa – if your partner is British or settled in the UK and you wish to join them to live in the UK permanently.




HomeBermudians Living & Working in the UK
Follow Us!
crow -con