Visiting the UK as British Overseas Territory Citizen

*NOTE: The information below applies to individuals who only possess a British Overseas Territory Citizen (BOTC) passport and do not have a valid British Citizen Passport.

 Visit the UK for less than six months: No visa required [1]

                Documents required

  • A valid BOTC passport

If traveling with a minor and you are not a parent or guardian: [2]

  • A signed letter from the minor’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) confirming details of anyone accompanying them, and details of care and accommodation arranged in the UK
  • A copy of the minor’s parent(s) or legal guardian’s biographical page of their passport, which includes their signature and passport number. If the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) do not have a passport then another official document which bears their signature should be supplied

Visit the UK for longer than a month less than six months: No visa required [1]

Additional documents may be requested of you before being allowed to enter. Along with the documents listed above, we recommend to also possess the following: [2]

  • Bank Statements
  • Proof of earnings such as a letter from employer confirming employment details (start date of employment, salary, role, company contact details)
  • Or proof of a third party (either in the UK or who will be legally in the UK at the time of your visit) providing financial support to you e.g. a business, a friend or a relative documenting they have sufficient resources to support you in addition to themselves.

Study in the UK Less than six months: No visa required [1]

Documents required

  • A valid BOTC passport

Study in the UK longer than six months: You’ll need a visa to study [1]

The visa you apply for depends on your circumstances.

  • Apply for a study visa (tier 4 general visa) – if you’re coming to the UK to study a university or college course for more than 6 months, or more than 11 months if it’s an English language course.
  • You can apply for a Short-term Study visa – if you’re 18 or over and studying an English language course for 11 months or less.

Get married or enter into civil partnership: You will need a visa [1]

You’ll need a visa to come to the UK

Apply for a Marriage Visitor visa – if you and your partner want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

Apply for a family of a settled person visa – if your partner is British or settled in the UK and you wish to join them to live in the UK permanently.